Wednesday, June 12, 2024

The Battle with Loneliness


“I was surrounded by people at home, school and church but overwhelmed by loneliness.”  


Elvis Presley recorded the song, Where No One Stands Alone. In it he sings, “Like a king, I may live in a palace so tall; With great riches to call my own; But I don't know a thing; In this whole wide world; That's worse than being alone.”
(Photo by Adrian Swancar on Unsplash)

According to experts in the field of human behavior, loneliness is at epidemic levels. Millions are walking through this dark valley and every day the numbers are growing. 

It may seem odd as to how people could feel so lonely in our modern times. With all the technology available it may seem like an impossibility. But it is true. Social media, television, movies on demand and having an ability to instantly connect with anyone anywhere does not remove the struggle.

I grew up as a Pastor’s kid and moved often. My personal fight with loneliness came in my sophomore year of high school. We moved again and I felt like I could not fit into the new school in another new town. I responded by withdrawing. My bedroom became my cave and I isolated myself. My grades plummeted and my parents became deeply concerned. I was surrounded by people at home, school and church but overwhelmed by loneliness.  

Loneliness is a common human experience. Why do we feel this way? In an article from Time Magazine, it says “Humans were not designed to be solitary creatures.” The column is partially right. We were not created to live in isolation, but it does not identify who we were created by, which is important. 

All of us were created by God. He made you and me. Furthermore, the column did not clarify “solitary”.  Most writings on loneliness speak of isolation regarding relationships with other people. That is partially right too. 

Yes, God created human beings to live in relationship with other people…but also with Him. Read this truth carefully. If we do not know God personally or have drifted in our relationship with Him then we have provided the foundation for loneliness to flourish.    

The first step toward victory begins with God and understanding that He made us for a purpose. The Scriptures say, “…everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.” (Isaiah 43:7) God made you to know Him and experience the wonder of His beauty and majesty. In Him we are made whole and complete, where there is no loneliness, but instead--abiding joy and peace.  

Only one thing keeps us from experiencing this--ourselves. When we purposefully resist God, passively neglect Him, hurt others or put our needs above those around us, we open the door for a life of loneliness. 

Here is the good news though. Jesus came to save us from ourselves. Through His death and resurrection, He made a way for us to be made whole. 

Are you struggling with loneliness? There is hope! Take the step of knowing God and following Jesus with all your heart.

A prayer for you – Lord God, I pray for the One caught up in loneliness. I pray for them as they isolate themselves and have their mind filled with thoughts that constantly feed this. Turn their eyes toward you. Bring them to open the Scriptures and find strength in them. Use their talents to serve others. Lift them up and out of the pit they are in. Set their feet on the solid ground of Christ. In Jesus’ name. Amen.”



No comments: