Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Discover Your Destiny in 2024!

“You were created for a purpose. You have a destiny to achieve."
In August of 1991, I began packing my things up and saying goodbye to family and friends to head east. Over a year earlier I had a life changing encounter with Jesus. Through that, He put a desire with me to go and tell others about Him. This led me to the place where I loaded up all my belongings and left my home in Colorado and traveled to Kansas. There I enrolled in college to begin preparing for my new purpose in life. It was through that experience where I discovered my true destiny. (Image from depositphotos.com)

What about you, have you ever thought, “What is my destiny in life? What is my purpose?” Everyone’s answer falls into three groups. The first group says, “You bet! I get up every day with a sense of purpose for myself.” The second truthfully states, “Honestly, I have never considered the question. I just do not think that way.” And the third, “Me? I am totally lost. I have no idea where my life is headed.”

No matter how you are wired, let me say that your life has a purpose. You are destined to achieve something beyond yourself. And as we begin a new year, I think it is finally time to discover what that is.

One of the greatest men who ever lived, was Paul of Tarsus. He was a Jew, whom made his mark on the world in the first century. He was brilliant from his youth, with some believing he had an equivalent to a triple Ph.D.

He lived at the same time as Jesus of Nazareth, and began to make his mark on the world following Jesus’ death and resurrection. In Paul’s own words he wrote, “I persecuted the church of God violently and tried to destroy it. And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers." (Galatians 1:13-14) To fellow Jewish observers, Paul was a success and living out his destiny.

However, in the middle of all his achievements, something began to change. It started with a man named Stephen, where Paul oversaw his martyrdom. This impacted him. However, Paul went on to do more and more evil until he came face-to-face with the one he was trying to destroy - Jesus. He confronted Paul, causing him to fall to the ground. Through this encounter Paul was transformed and given a new direction in life. Years later after reflecting on that moment, he stated, “But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.” (Philippians 3:7) To Paul, all of his success in Judaism meant nothing in relation to Jesus.

Paul’s achievements early in life, was about “him.” He was living out “his” purpose. But something changed when he turned to Jesus. He realized how God had a purpose for him that was different than his own. Paul humbled himself, accepted that purpose, and began to live it, counting everything before that moment, “as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus…” (Phil 3:8)

What is true success? It is taking yourself before God and saying, “I want your purpose for my life, not my own.” Or it is admitting, “I do not feel any sense of direction for my life at all. Show me your purpose O God.” It is then letting God’s plan for you, to become your plan.

And where does it all start? At the cross, where Jesus died. It is where you also must die, die to what you feel is your purpose or even lack of purpose. Then take up God’s direction for you. It is at this intersection, where you will discover your divine destiny.

A prayer for you – Lord God, awaken people to their divine destiny. Let them wake up each day with a sense of holy purpose. Help them to find this at the foot of the cross, and begin a new life in you this day. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: